On the right side of Shkumbin River spill where it crosses the famous Egnatia road extends the city of Elbasan with the ancient name Skampis. During ancient history Elbasan changed his name often, but for the first time we find it written in historical documents of the second century as vicus named Scampis under Dyrrah. Scampisi was a typical Roman kastium (castle) built in the 3rd century BC. The fortress was surrounded by strong walls. From the four sides a deep-water ditch and 26 towers of various shapes (U-shaped and horseshoe) reinforced its protective power. The castle had four entrances one on each side.
In the thirteenth century, the city developed outside the castle by being a bishopric center with a cathedral and a basilica at the Tepes Hill near the castle. In 1466 the Elbasan Castle fell into the hands of the Ottomans, who almost completely reconstructed them and named them Illyabhan (Elbasan). With this name, it became a sanxhaku center in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, having a highly developed craftsmanship and a trade inside and outside the country. In the middle of the 17th century it had 900 stores, 2,000 residential houses. The most listening crafts were the direction of the skins, the silk and the jewelry (ornaments and weapons). Within the city apart from dwellings and shops, Elbasan already contained many cult buildings such as churches, monasteries, mosques, and hammams (public baths).
Scampis Castle was built during the reign of Emperor Diocletian (284-305). It is built entirely according to the Roman technique opus mixtum. The wall of this 3-meter-thick construction is located everywhere in the lower level of the castle.
This road is the continuation of Via Appia, starting from the ancient Rome to Brindisi. In our country, Via Egnatia starts from Apollonia and Dyrrahu, two ramparts that join near Scampis on the left bank of the Zaranika River to continue eastward to the north of Lake Ohrid to Thessaloniki. This road is thought to have been built between the years 146 to 120 BC.
The Royal Mosque is one of the earliest shrines in Albania, and dates to 1492. This shrine complies with all the other royal-themed mosques that were built by Sultan Bajaziti II at the end of the 15th century. The mosque was closed in 1967 during the communist dictatorship and reopened after 1990.
The Church of St. Mary, Elbasan
The Church of St. Mary is located within the castle of Elbasan and was rebuilt in 1833.
Hammam of the Castle
Hammam inside the castle, also known as the Women's Hammam, dates to the late 16th century. The hammam scheme initially consists of three main rooms: dressing, isolation and washing rooms. During the 20th century, the Castle Hammam was used as a food warehouse. Today, this building also contains a bar.
The first clock tower arose here in the 17th century and was demolished before 1854. The second wooden tower erected from 1865 to 1869. After the fall, this tower was replaced by the continuation tower in 1899. The inscription at the entrance gate of the tower says, "The King of the world kindness / and aroused this beautiful and heartwarming times woman tried, cared for and cared for Aqif Bey / God willing to reward all the good things of this world / when it sounds, with his voice announces the beauty the exact time / perfectly from the four sides shows the minute / since he owns the intuition of your poet / o refit his construction year / built it in early 1315.